To encourage children of all ages, skill levels, and interests that writing can be fun, their stories are important, and those stories need to be put into the world.
How this will be achieved:
- Create a safe environment to share ideas and create stories
- Focus on the enjoyment of creating a piece of writing
- Stress the purpose and strength of editing
- Provide tools and methods to encourage creating
- Set an example of joyful writing
- Encourage sharing their work for improvement and entertainment
- Encourage reading to inspire better writing
My role as leader:
- Encourage all writers at all levels with all stories, poems, songs, and other writings
- Be aware of what children are reading and writing to encourage growth
- Build a community of writers that want to be inclusive rather than exclusive
- Lead by example as a writer, collaborator, and person
- Grow along with the children
A Draw-Your-Own Picture Book!
I asked my last class what kind of story they would like. They asked for a fairy tale with a princess and dinosaurs. They were disappointed that the princess isn't herself a dinosaur, but they enjoyed the story anyway!